At the occasion of the summit, leaders from the seven think tanks and foundations convening the Vision Europe Summit (Bertelsmann Stiftung, Bruegel, Chatham House, Compagnia di San Paolo, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Jacques Delors Institute, Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra) and from one associated think tank (CASE – Center for Social and Economic Research) signed this conference declaration.
The declaration “Redesigning European welfare states: A time for action” emphasized the urgency to act now if we are to guarantee viable welfare states in the future. Welfare states are a defining feature of Europe, but reforms will be necessary both at national and at EU-level. The following aspects are seen as crucial and included in the declaration.
- From risk-sharing to risk-avoidance
- From welfare state to welfare societies
- Tackling inequality to create a virtuous cycle
- Reconcile intergenerational equity with sustainability
- Tear down obstacles to labour market integration
- Renew welfare state governance through greater policy integration
- Clarify the role of the EU and make its actions complementary to national welfare policies